Re: RFS: (RC bugfix, NMU) mindi

Bilal Akhtar wrote:

On 11/28/2010 05:26 PM, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
>> FYI, I got this uploaded as NMU some minutes ago:
>
> Now, you just managed to anger me by doing this.

Hi Bilal,

let me apologize for the process, as my intent was not to anger you.

I was at a BSP, with several DD's around and we discussed your proposed
patch; the general agreement was "using conffiles to solve this bug is plain
wrong". The approach I proposed to you was the result of that "live"
discussion. I prepared and tested the patch, and got it uploaded, because it
sounded a saner technical solution to the problem at hand.

> First, what is the harm in adding these files to debian/conffiles?

You should read Policy E.1. It states "The filenames (…), and the files
referred to should actually exist in the package."

As their name tells, conffiles are supposed to be used for "Automatic
handling of configuration files by dpkg". As their path tells, the files we
are talking about in /usr/lib/mindi are not configuration files: if they
were they would be in /etc. (And actually they should be in /var/lib
probably, see #605261 and the FHS).

> The only difference from the earlier package would be:
>
> 1) These files would be removed only on purge.
> 2) There would be no need of a postrm file.

While that might be true (I did not check), I believe (and I was not alone)
that the technical solution you adopted to solve the problem was just plain
wrong.

And as for the "no need of a postrm file", what is the advantage of this ?
We have maintainer scripts for a reason.

> This was the needed behavior, and this approach was the Debian-policy
> recommended way of getting the job done.

Could you please point me to the Debian Policy chapter that recommends to
get cache files removed with the conffiles mechanism?

> Secondly, if I had tagged the bug with pending, then I was the person
> who was supposed to fix the bug! And, you just got the thing NMUed
> without any consent from me.

How could I have known without monitoring debian-mentors@ ? You did not send
the patch to the bugreport…

While I agree that I could have been more patient and that I could have
taken more time to convince you of the wrongness of the technical solution
you proposed, I don't think I needed an agreement from you to NMU this: we
are in freeze, things must get fixed (and I had the opportunity, given that
I was at a BSP with DD's around).

Furthermore, note that I did not a "zero-day" NMU (immediate upload), but
got it uploaded to DELAYED/2 : this gives you (trough a DD) the time to
block the upload from actually reaching the archive.

My NMU will reach the archive in more than one day now [0], so you have one
day to convince any DD of the superiority of your technical solution over
the one I got uploaded, get mine rejected and yours uploaded instead.

Finally, note that I asked the Release Managers to remove mindi from
testing: #605264 .

> Sorry if my mail was too harsh.
>
> Bilal Akhtar

Don't worry. It was not harsh at all: it just stated your frustration with
my behaviour, which I can understand. That's completely fine.

Cheers,

OdyX

[0] http://ftp-master.debian.org/deferred.html