Re: Build-Depends-Indep, please review

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 04:40:57PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> David Kalnischkies <kalnischkies@gmail.com> writes:

> >> Would you please elaborate ?
> >
> > Goswin likely refers to this thread: Buildd & binary-indep
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/09/msg00590.html
> >

> > Best regards
> >
> > David Kalnischkies
>
> And in short:
>
> Buildds install only Build-Depends but not Build-Depends-Indep but still
> call the "build" target. In reality the "build" target must work with
> only Build-Depends installed contrary to what policy says.

I do hope this mess can be sorted out after squeeze is released.
Mandating build-arch and build-indep would be a good thing, IMHO.
It's not the buildd software that can change this though--the
actual sticking point is dpkg-buildpackage, which is used by sbuild.

sbuild is actually perfectly capable of installing Build-Depends-Indep
and removing Build-Conflicts-Indep when invoked with the -A (build
arch-all) option, but there are no buildds building arch-indep packages
yet.  If we ever throw away uploaded binaries and build everything on
buildds, this would then be useful.

Regards,
Roger

--