Re: Build-Depends-Indep, please review

anatoly techtonik wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 10:02 AM, أحمد المحمودي <aelmahmoudy@sabily.org>
> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I thought Build-Depends-Indep is for build-deps that are not needed by
>> clean target.
>
> What is the meaning of name "Build-Depends-Indep" then? Dependencies
> that are required to build package, but from which "clean" rule is
> independent?

No. Build-Depends-Indep lists the Build Dependencies needed to build the
architecture-INDEPendant packages.

In short: your package must build the arch:any packages correctly when only
the Build-Depends are installed. It must be able to build also the arch:all
when the Build-Depends-Indep are also installed. This allows to have
"minimal" Build-Depends, while "extending" them with B-D-Indep (usually
documentation building tools) for the arch:all packages.

All that is in Policy 7.7.

Cheers,

OdyX