Re: How to add dependencies that exist in another repository

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 04:50:49PM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > The packages for Debian there add a source.list.d file as you
> > describe.  (And it really confused me until I figured out what it had
>
> Which begs the question: why do we even have source.list.d/ suport in
> the first place (or, if it is really useful to other users of apt, why
> is it enabled by default) ?

- An organisation/site with a private repository or mirror can provide the
  configuration for this as a package or preinstalled file without
  interfering with per-machine configuration
- Non-Debian packages (such as Chrome) can integrate with the usual update
  mechanisms rather than reinventing this wheel
- Mobile users can enable and disable sources in different locations just by
  renaming the files (this is now less important thanks to cdn.debian.net,
  though that is not yet an official service)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
                                                              - Albert Camus