Re: RFS: wicd-client-kde

Iker Salmón San Millán wrote:

> Dear Mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "wicd-client-kde".
>
> * Package name    : wicd-client-kde
>   Version         : 0.2.1-1
>   Upstream Author : Anthony Vital <yesmichel@gmail.com>
> * URL             : http://gitorious.org/wicd-client-kde
> * License         : GPL v3
>   Section         : kde
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> wicd-client-kde - wired and wireless network manager - KDE client

Hi Iker, and thanks for packaging this software!

Preliminary notice: I am not a DD, so I will not be able to upload your
package. However, I think that my review can be of interest.

Maybe, but it doesn't build in a clean chroot: you miss at least kdelibs-bin
(so using kdelibs5-dev as Build-Dependency would be good [and works]). Did
you build it in a clean chroot (with pbuilder or sbuild e.g.) before
uploading it to mentors.d.n ?

Once I fixed that, I still had one lintian warning:

W: wicd-client-kde: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/wicd-client-kde

which should really be fixed (see help2man for example).

> The upload would fix these bugs: 602049

Other things I noticed (randomly ordered)

* Your debian/copyright is unusual as it doesn't quote the GPL license.

* You have a debian/patches subdirectory that contains direct changes to the
source: if you want to apply patches, you should really prepare real patches
(quilt add; quilt edit; …).

* You are mis-using the Vcs-* fields in debian/control: those are not meant
to point the the "upstream" VCS, but to the packaging VCS.

* This package would perfectly fit in the "KDE-Extras" team; did you
consider putting it under this umbrella ?

* There is a typo in the description: "qt" should be "Qt". And if it is
really a "KDE" client, it should be labelled as such.

* Your changelog contains two useless informations: the fact that it's your
first package and the two spelling errors you are fixing (without proper
patching, see above). For a first release, there is usually no need to
explain what you have done (a matter of taste). So if you want to mention
the spelling errors patch, you can, but you should mention that it is done
through patching.

* The packages ships the network-wireless-*.png icons, that are also in knm-
runtime. So you would either need to conflict with knm-runtime or convince
their maintainers to ship said icons in a separate package that you could
use too. By the way, this shows that the icons are probably duplicated from
knm-runtime and this sucks (code/data duplication is never good). By the
way, the oxygen-icon-theme package ships network-wireless-connected-*.png
icons which could be used instead. Furthermore, those icons are shipped in
the orig tarball as *.png, which is certainly not the "preferred form of
modification".

So far so good, you have already enough to do. :-) Looking forward for your
fixed package !

Cheers, OdyX