Re: RFS: calcoo (updated package)

Le Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 12:13:24AM -0500, Tony Palma a écrit :

> I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 1.3.18-3
> of my package "calcoo". Just a upgrade.
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> calcoo     - Scientific calculator (GTK+)

Dear Tony,

I had a look at calcoo and your changes for version 1.3.18-3.

The previous maintainer of the calcoo package was the upstream maintainer
himself, and he stopped updating the package at the same time as he stopped
making upstream releases. Did you try to contact him in the past or recently ?
More in general, what is your long-term plan for calcoo? How about maintaining
it in a team (http://wiki.debian.org/Teams), or storing the source package in a
VCS? All of this will help for the cases where you are unavailable for more
than a couple of weeks (as for your balazar packages for instance).

About our changes for 1.3.18-3:

  I noted that you commented one line in debian/rules. Unless the comment is
  there to carry a message, it may be clearer to just delete the line.

  This comented line is dh_clean -k, that is deprecated by dh_prep. So the most
  proper change would have been to replace it by dh_prep. In the case of your
  package, it does not seem to make a difference…

  Once you have a good grasp of what Debhelper is doing for each key
  target of debian/rules (clean, build, install, binary,…), you may
  be interested in factorizing most of the code by the use of
  Debhelper 7 as in ‘/usr/share/doc/debhelper/examples/rules.tiny’.

  Your package has has a menu file but no FreeDesktop entry.  At your option and
  pace, maybe you can consider adding a ‘.desktop’ file.

I uploaded 1.3.18-3.

You may have noticed the discussions this week: the RFS traffic is increasing
and we need people to step up and reach a level where they can upload
independantly. Your first upload of calcoo was more than one year ago. Do you
think that there is a DD who know your contribution well enough to recommend
you as a DM? Importantly, even after you become a DM you are still most welcome
to ask for advice on this list. After becoming a DD, I still occasionally do as
well.

Lastly, it would be great if you could spare some time to have a look to one
fresh RFS on this list, and report the issues you find, or make suggestions for
improvement.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy