Re: Rescue Plan for apt-listbugs

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:30:27 +0800 Paul Wise wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 1:22 AM, Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:
> > [I wasn't Cc:ed, hence I see your message only now, and I am replying
> > after manually quoting the text from the web archive and manually
> > setting the In-Reply-To field: I hope this won't break the thread;
> > apologies if it does!]
>
> CCed you.

Thanks!

> > What if I already have the cloned repository (I've used it so far to
> > prepare patches that I've sent to Ryan via e-mail...) and it was cloned
> > via the git protocol at the time?
[...]
> I would delete the remote that clones over git:// and rename the other one.
>
> git remote rm origin
> git remote rename alioth origin

Thanks, I will consider this option, even though I must admit that
having two remotes (one over ssh to push to, and one origin over the
git protocol to pull from) does not sound so weird to me.
The origin remote was created when I initially cloned the repository
over the git protocol: I had no push permissions at the time, hence I
could not clone over ssh (right?).
Now that I got push permissions, I can add a special "alioth" remote
over ssh, in order to push...

> >> You want origin/master here.
> >
> > I thought that "origin" was a shortcut for "origin/HEAD":
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html#how-git-stores-references
> > and "origin/HEAD" seems to be equivalent to "origin/master" on my
> > cloned repository:
>
> When I do your proposed command I get this:
>
> $ git checkout -b test origin
> fatal: git checkout: updating paths is incompatible with switching branches.
> Did you intend to checkout 'origin' which can not be resolved as commit?

It has always worked for me...

> > $ git branch -r
> >  origin/HEAD -> origin/master
> >  origin/compare-version-accelerator
> >  origin/make_list_work
> >  origin/master
> >  origin/try-index-with-soap
> >  origin/update-po
> >  origin/vimbts
> >
> > Anyway, if I understand correctly, your suggestion is to use
> > "origin/master", since it is a more general strategy.
> > Right?
>
> Hmm, I don't have origin/HEAD on the test repo I was using:
>
> $ git branch -r
>   origin/master

This may perhaps explain why the above mentioned command does not work
for you.

> >> Probably s/origin/master/
> >
> > "origin" and "master" should be identical at this point, since I've
> > just pulled while on branch "master".
> > Or am I wrong?
> >
> > Anyway, since I am then going to pull the rebased branch on the
> > "master" branch, you're probably right that the most correct rebase is
> > a "git rebase master".
> > Could you please confirm that this is what you meant?
>
> Yep.

Good, thanks for confirming!

Paul, I would like to thank you for all the help you provided.
It's really appreciated.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/progs/scripts/pdebuild-hooks.html
 Need some pdebuild hook scripts?