Re: Rescue Plan for apt-listbugs

[I wasn't Cc:ed, hence I see your message only now, and I am replying
after manually quoting the text from the web archive and manually
setting the In-Reply-To field: I hope this won't break the thread;
apologies if it does!]

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 12:02:15 +0800 Paul Wise wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 4:58 AM, Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:
>
> > However, I still need confirmation that the git work-flow I am planning
> > to follow won't mess everything up.
> > Could someone please review it (see <http://bugs.debian.org/588636#39>)?
>
> A few minor issues, but it looks good.

Thanks a lot for the review!   :-)

> > $ git clone git://git.debian.org/git/apt-listbugs/apt-listbugs.git
> > $ git remote add alioth ssh://git.debian.org/git/apt-listbugs/apt-listbugs.git
>
> You should not need to add a second remote, it feels weird to have two
> remotes to the same repository. I would just do the initial clone over
> ssh.

What if I already have the cloned repository (I've used it so far to
prepare patches that I've sent to Ryan via e-mail...) and it was cloned
via the git protocol at the time?
Please take into account that I also already have a local branch
waiting to be pushed to the public repository as a new series of
commits for the "master" branch...

Should I start from scratch, clone the public repository over ssh, and
then somehow transfer my local commits from my old cloned repository to
the newly cloned one? How?

Or is there a better way to deal with this situation?

> > $ git checkout -b $MY_COOL_BRANCH_NAME origin
>
> You want origin/master here.

I thought that "origin" was a shortcut for "origin/HEAD":
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html#how-git-stores-references
and "origin/HEAD" seems to be equivalent to "origin/master" on my
cloned repository:

$ git branch -r
  origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  origin/compare-version-accelerator
  origin/make_list_work
  origin/master
  origin/try-index-with-soap
  origin/update-po
  origin/vimbts

Anyway, if I understand correctly, your suggestion is to use
"origin/master", since it is a more general strategy.
Right?

> > $ git checkout $MY_COOL_BRANCH_NAME && git rebase origin
>
> Probably s/origin/master/

"origin" and "master" should be identical at this point, since I've
just pulled while on branch "master".
Or am I wrong?

Anyway, since I am then going to pull the rebased branch on the
"master" branch, you're probably right that the most correct rebase is
a "git rebase master".
Could you please confirm that this is what you meant?

> > $ git push alioth ${MY_COOL_BRANCH_NAME}:master
>
> I've never used that syntax before, interesting.

I hope it works as intended!  ;-)

> I would also suggest that before you push, either judicious use of git
> add -p for preparing commits into logical changes or use of git rebase
> -i after the fact to reorganise them into logical changes. Also,
> ensuring that each commit builds and passes any test suite helps folks
> doing bisects etc on the repo at a later date.

I'll do my best to ensure this!  ;-)

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/progs/scripts/pdebuild-hooks.html
 Need some pdebuild hook scripts?