Re: shlibs and lintian

On 2010-10-11, Zvi Dubitzky <DUBI@il.ibm.com> wrote:
> I am having a package for libraries (several)

Speaking as a maintainer who has been having library packages that
contained several libraries (Qt, kdelibs, kde4libs, kdepimlibs,
kdebase-workspace and ....) - we have ended up splitting everything so
that 1 library goes in one package. I can only recommend that to others
because:
 - users of your libraries might only use one of them, and thus gets
   fewer dependencies
 - if upstream changes ABI of one of the libraries, you can change that
   one packagename and create a smaller transition
 - make it easier to manage thinrgs with symbol files rather than shlibs
   files

(and as a side effect you end up without such issues as you are
describing)

/Sune