Re: Four days

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Matthew Palmer wrote:

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 11:11:49AM -0400, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Matthew Palmer wrote:

To clarify: the intended point of this proposal is to solve the
perceived problem that DDs don't sponsor packages because they're
concerned that they'll end up taking responsibility for a package if
the maintainer ups and leaves?

I don't actually see that as a problem.  There are simple ways to deal
with orphaned packages, regardless of the way the upload was made, and
they work. If a package I sponsor is abandoned by the maintainer, it
gets NMUed, orphaned and assigned to debian-qa like any other, and is
then available for adoption.

The variant of this problem I do see, however, is the uploading of
surely-soon-to-be-unmaintained low-quality or near-duplicate packages,
clogging up the archive and making extra work for debian-qa et al.
*That* problem isn't going to be solved by changing the maintainer,
it's only going to be solved by not uploading the
surely-soon-to-be-unmaintained low-quality or near-duplicate packages
in the first place.

Matthew -- sounds like you've identified a commonly-asked question that
has an answer. Would you (or someone else on the list) be willing to add
that to the "For Sponsors..." section of
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq ?

I think I've had my fill of FAQ maintenance.  Someone else can do it.

Until now I didn't connect the old FAQ (that I remember reading as a mentee) and your name. Thanks for that, and yes, I totally understand if you've decided you're done with FAQ maintenance. (-:

I've added that question and answer to http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq .

-- Asheesh.

--
After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-known quotations.
		-- H. L. Mencken, on Shakespeare