Re: RFS: matrixssl

Hi

please keep the discussion on the list.

Dne Mon, 04 Oct 2010 16:45:32 -0400
zeus@gnu.org napsal(a):

> Michal Čihař <nijel@debian.org> writes:
>
> Hi!
>
> > It would be great if you've mentioned some other details in the RFS
> > email - It is new package? Are you adopting it?  What is your
> > motivation to take care of this package? Does the upload fix any bugs?
>
> No this package isn't new, in fact exist a previous version 1.8.8 which
> the current maintainer ask for someone to maintain, I'm responding to
> that bug 544057[1].
>
> I want this package to be updated in Debian because I just finish the
> ssl plugin for the monkey http daemon project and it will use this
> version of matrixssl since the current (1.8.8) doesn't work so well.

Great, it would be nice to know this in first email.

See <http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/pkgs.html#nmu>.

> > 2. This seems to be quite major version update, are you sure you want
> > to upload this to unstable in freeze?
>
> What do you mean with "unstable in freeze"? If you think that it should
> be in other place just tell me and we will put it in other place.

Generally uploading new library version to unstable while freeze is not
a good idea. See freeze announcement for more details -
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/08/msg00000.html>.

> > 3. You dropped dietlibc support without single mention in changelog/NEWS
>
> Didn't know if you should mention that or where mention it, maybe I
> should not drop the support, whats your thoughts about it?

I have no idea whether it was used or not, but it seems like some major
feature removal, so it would deserve at least note in changelog or
NEWS, see
<http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-news-debian>.

> > 4. Manually creating postinst/postrm is really not needed, just use
> > debhelper.
>
> Ok, I'll take a more deep look on all the tools of debhelper maybe I
> missed something.
>
> > 5. Why is there another tarball and debian directory in .orig.tar.gz?
> > Please check how the source package should look like.
>
> I was running a command to generate de .origin.tar.gz maybe I forgot
> some option to run, I'll check more about that

You don't need to generate orig.tar.gz, that should be just renamed
upstream tarball.

> > 6. Ever heard about lintian?
> > I: matrixssl source: binary-control-field-duplicates-source field "section" in package libmatrixssl3.1
> > I: matrixssl source: duplicate-long-description libmatrixssl3.1-dev libmatrixssl3.1 libmatrixssl3.1-doc
> > I: matrixssl source: missing-debian-source-format
> > W: matrixssl source: changelog-should-not-mention-nmu
> > I: matrixssl source: debian-watch-file-is-missing
>
> Of course, but I didn't saw those problems, can you send me the options
> I should use ?

The I: warnings are generated by passing -I option to lintian. They are
usually good things to fix, but not necessarily a bugs.