Re: problem with lintian overrides

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 02:45:45PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-09-18 14:27 +0200, Noel David Torres Taño wrote:
>
> > Hello mentors:
> >
> > I have some problems with lintian overrides. My package show these:
> >
> > -----
> > lintian -I -E --pedantic kstars-data-extra-tycho2_1.1r1-1_all.deb
> > I: kstars-data-extra-tycho2: unused-debconf-template kstars-data-
> > extra/kstarsrc-exists
> > I: kstars-data-extra-tycho2: unused-debconf-template kstars-data-
> > extra/kstarsrc-does-not-exist
> > P: kstars-data-extra-tycho2: no-homepage-field
> > P: kstars-data-extra-tycho2: no-upstream-changelog
> > -----
> >
> > But I have a debian/source/lintian-overrides with this content:
>
> debian/source/lintian-overrides is not installed into the binary
> package, so lintian cannot find it when scanning the .deb.  You want to
> name it debian/kstars-data-extra-tycho2.lintian-overrides and install it
> with dh_lintian (requires debhelper >= 6.0.7).

In a couple more words: the problem is, you (OP) are trying to make a
*source* override fix a lintian warning for the *binary* package.  When
Lintian gives a warning about a source package, it prefixes it with
sourcepackagename source: ...
And in your case, the warning is for the *binary* package, so it is:
binarypackagename: ...

Thus, the source overrides will not affect it; as Sven Joachim said,
you need to provide a file that will be installed as part of the binary
package.  You may install it into /usr/share/lintian/overrides/ "by
hand", but it will be much easier to just drop a file named
binarypackagename.lintian-overrides (well, in your case that is
kstars-data-extra-tycho2.lintian-overrides) into the debian/ directory
at package build time and invoke dh_lintian.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@space.bg    roam@ringlet.net    roam@FreeBSD.org
This sentence contradicts itself - or rather - well, no, actually it doesn't!