Re: ITH! webalizer

On 10-09-2010 09:52, Julien Viard de Galbert wrote:
> First, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (current maintainer) if you have plans
> for Wheezy, please tell me so, if not, why don't you fill and RFH or RFA
> ?

First, I would have appreciate if you had contacted me privately first.

Second, I didn't fill a RFH or RFA because of that idea a lot of us
have: next week I will be able to fulfill my plans and work on this or
that. Not because I don't want people to work on that package.

Finally, I do have plans for Wheezy, same I had for Lenny and Squeeze,
and I do think there is a chance I will miss them again.  When I first
adopted it a few years ago, I started working upstream, that's why
after several years webalizer got a new upstream, then Real Life (tm)
kicked my ass and I couldn't promote the changes I wanted to the Debian
package.

> So in case Felipe Augusto van de Wiel never answers, this is an Intent
> To Hijack ;) the webalizer package.

You would find out that I'm rather active and replying rather quickly.

> le the upstream was inactive for several years there are new releases
> now. A bug about this is open [2] since July 2008. And does not show
> much recent interest from the maintainer.
>  2: http://bugs.debian.org/491200

I do have an updated version of the package that dates back of late
2008, which needs to be updated to be any useful.

> I feel what I'm currently doing is kind of rude,

It is rude.

> however webalizer deserve a better packaging.

That's also true.

> I'm running my personal server at home for
> several years now so I keeps the logs (Eben Molgen explained why this is
> important) but If you want to have a look at what's in your log, then
> webalizer already does a great job for you.
>
> I'm currently learning the debian work and find it particularly
> difficult to start during freeze time... I'm going to need mentors and
> sponsor for that. So I did sent copy of this email to mentors for wise
> advices and a few other people that have shown interest in the package,
> sorry if it bothers you guys.

Webalizer package is not really easy to upgrade for somebody starting
now because it requires some nitpicking to clean the old way of deal
with things and migrate to the new upstream format.

> My plan is:
>  - wait a little for response
>  - prepare a new package of the new version using format 3.0 quilt
>  - check all patch from previous debian package
>  - check all patch on the bts
>  - check all remaining bugs on the bts
>  - fill an RFS

I don't mind seeing you doing the work, but indeed I would prefer
somebody more experienced. Anyway, I would even sponsor and guide
you thru the process.  I don't mind somebody else adopting it
either.

Right now I'm in the process of rearranging my time around Debian
because of Release Team work, webalizer is one of the packages I
like (even if I let it got in such bad state). :-(

That's pretty much it. :)

> I'm aware that squeeze is frozen, so any package I could prepare would
> go to experimental.

webalizer is not in testing, it can be uploaded to unstable, and then
be made available thru backports.

Kind regards,
- --
Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)
Debian. Freedom to code. Code to freedom!