ITH! webalizer

First, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (current maintainer) if you have plans
for Wheezy, please tell me so, if not, why don't you fill and RFH or RFA

So in case Felipe Augusto van de Wiel never answers, this is an Intent
To Hijack ;) the webalizer package.

Here is about why:

The package has been uploaded only once by it's current maintainer: let
the changelog [1] speaks. Current version is 2.01.10-32.7, so there was
seven NMU to bring it there...

 1: http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/w/webalizer/current/changelog
| webalizer (2.01.10-32) unstable; urgency=low
|   * New Maintainer. (Closes: #407676).
|   * Acknowledge NMU (2.01.10-31.1), thanks Christian. (Closes: #403415,
|     #404180, #398840, #399063, #399081, #401621, #401805).
|  -- Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) <faw@debian.org>  Sun, 21 Jan 2007 02:19:53 -0200

le the upstream was inactive for several years there are new releases
now. A bug about this is open [2] since July 2008. And does not show
much recent interest from the maintainer.
 2: http://bugs.debian.org/491200

I feel what I'm currently doing is kind of rude, however webalizer
deserve a better packaging. I'm running my personal server at home for
several years now so I keeps the logs (Eben Molgen explained why this is
important) but If you want to have a look at what's in your log, then
webalizer already does a great job for you.

I'm currently learning the debian work and find it particularly
difficult to start during freeze time... I'm going to need mentors and
sponsor for that. So I did sent copy of this email to mentors for wise
advices and a few other people that have shown interest in the package,
sorry if it bothers you guys.

My plan is:
 - wait a little for response
 - prepare a new package of the new version using format 3.0 quilt
 - check all patch from previous debian package
 - check all patch on the bts
 - check all remaining bugs on the bts
 - fill an RFS

I'm aware that squeeze is frozen, so any package I could prepare would
go to experimental.

Best Regards

Julien Viard de Galbert                        <julien@vdg.blogsite.org>
http://silicone.homelinux.org/           <julien@silicone.homelinux.org>
GPG Key ID: D00E52B6                  Published on: hkp://keys.gnupg.net
Key Fingerprint: E312 A31D BEC3 74CC C49E  6D69 8B30 6538 D00E 52B6