Re: Help me find a project to join!

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, Henrik null wrote:

Hi!

My name is Henrik. I have almost two years of experience of object-oriented programming and feel comfortable with Java, C#/C++, Python, MATLAB, GTK and Java Swing. Next month I will start my education to Master of Science in Engeneering at the Royal Institute of Technology in Sweden. I would like to contribute as a developer/programmer by writing code for a Debian project. I could do anything from building a GUI to writing a class for a specific problem. I am hoping joining a Debian project as a developer will improve my programming skills.

Hi! It's great to have the chance to have more people in Debian. Thanks for sending an introduction email to the list!

Please help me find a project to join! I have been looking through some bug reports and some projects that are up for adoption and I think I need some help to find a project that is on my level. What do debian developers usually start with?

A great deal of the work in Debian is packaging work -- work in mostly shell and GNU makefiles, as well as careful reading of policy documents. That's the way a lot of Debian developers contribute.

There are a few Debian-specific tools, like some web sites, the popularity contest, and other Debian packaging-specific tools. If you liked Perl, I'd suggest taking a look at bugs in lintian. Since you like Python, you might want to poke at piuparts, a quality assurance tool written in Python. You can read its bugs at http://bugs.debian.org/piuparts .

Another (really cool!) thing you could do is work on debexpo. That's a new mentors.debian.net site. That's in Python. You can read about that at http://debexpo.workaround.org/trac/.

And if you like C#, the CLI Applications team could use some more people. You can read about them at http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianCliAppsTeam . They package desktop applications written in C# (usually GTK applications) like F-Spot and Banshee. (Java people can chime in, too!)

Do any of these sound particularly exciting? If it's writing application-level code, the Python experience you have is probably going to come the most in handy. If you want to work as an interface between Debian users and upstreams, you have plenty of room to get involved with Java, C#, and C++.

But I think that finishing debexpo would probably be the most exciting thing.

What do you think?

(-:,

-- Asheesh.

--