Re: Control which packages debhelper builds

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 05:28:41PM -0400, Evan Kroske wrote:

> I'm packaging uClibc for in order to build a cross-toolchain.

Note that there is an "uclibc-source" package in Debian already that is
supposed to be used from toolchain builds (when building from scratch).

Having packages for uClibc in Debian proper does not really make sense
because uClibc uses a different ABI, and so their use would be limited
to software that uses only functionality from libraries provided there.

Instead, there are two families of architectures defined:
uclibc-linux-* for systems with an MMU, and uclinux-* for systems
lacking one.

uClibc packages are going to be built for these architectures, and you
can use dpkg-cross afterwards.

> In order
> to build the toolchain from source, I must build and install the
> uClibc development headers, build and install a bootstrap GCC, compile
> the uClibc core with the bootstrap GCC, build a final version of GCC
> connected to the uClibc core, and compile various uClibc host and
> target utilities with the final GCC.

Indeed. This cannot be done within the packaging system easily, so the
toolchain packages provide binary packages containing the source code.

> >From the uClibc source, I must build three batches of packages: the
> uClibc dev headers, the uClibc core, and the uClibc utilities. How can
> I control which packages debhelper builds and how it builds them?

Using separate rules for each, and debhelper's -p flag. Note that you
will still need a script to go back and forth between packages, and
there are other pitfalls there.

   Simon