Re: RFC: Using git/collab-maint/PET for debian-mentors.

On 13/06/10 10:05, Tim Retout wrote:

> Proposal
> ========
>
> I am considering creating a new workflow for my sponsoring:
>
>       * Maintaining packages in git in collab-maint. (I don't think we
>         want a separate pkg-mentors repository, because once people
>         graduate from mentors they would feel compelled to move away.)
>       * Using PET or similar to show which packages need review, and
>         keep track of bugs/upstream versions. (Minor issue: I don't know
>         how easy this is without putting the whole of collab-maint into
>         PET.)
>       * Optionally co-ordinating on IRC in #debian-mentors, as well as
>         via notes at the top of debian/changelog.
>
> This would then require my mentees to do some things they don't do at
> the moment:
>
>       * Register for an alioth account.
>       * Learn how to maintain packages in a VCS.
>       * Use the 'UNRELEASED/unstable' method of changelog management
>         (and probably stop bothering with the RFS mails).
>
> It would also allow potential contributors to collaborate on packaging
> work in a team, rather than every sponsored package being worked on by
> exactly one person.
>
> I would most likely enforce the use of short dh7 rules files as well,
> and go all out on the 'lintian -iI --pedantic' warnings, same as I do
> with regular sponsorship.  And of course, any packages which belong in
> other teams should be sent there - the steps above should have lowered
> the barrier to entry to the rest of Debian.

Information that is likely to become relevant for different sponsors
(like VCS in use, debian/rules style [dh/cdbs/debhelper]) could be shown
on the PET page. Different sponsors are likely to have different
requirements.

The only problem I see is that PET does not really scale well to lots of
packages, the page gets quite cluttered. So I don't know if pulling the
whole collab-maint area will be of any use.

- --
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler