Re: A lot of pending packages

Le dimanche 13 juin 2010, Thomas Goirand a écrit :
> I don't agree with you on the reasons. The thing is, PHP applications
> in Debian aren't made to support multiple instance. The result being
> that it doesn't make sense to use them, because you wont be able to
> have more than a single site with it.

Some of them are. gallery2, for instance, has a multisite support.

> If there was a move toward multiple instances using a single package, I am
> quite sure that the situation would be different.

Their is a move, at least with DokuWiki. Their is a semi-official way to
build a multisite installation (they call that “farming”), that used
some non-free (CC-BY-NC-SA) scripts. I wrote to ask for a license
change some months ago, and I have just received a reply: these scripts
are now free (GPLv2), so I am now able to work on multisite support.

But I think that packaged webapps can be very useful, because:
- they allow anyone to simply “aptitude install dokuwiki” to get a
  working installation without worrying about file system paths, rights
  and so one;
- they often result in a cleaner, more secure setup (remember that many
  webapps install guides are written for users of mutualized hosting,
  and thus suggest to chmod -R 777 webapp_directory);
- they can interact with the web server(s) configuration, allowing to
  get a working installation without having to define an Alias or a
  VirtualHost (based on the suggestion of an installation guide that was
  written for an Apache HTTPD with monolithic configuration, and that
  was never written for [insert here your favorite web server]);
- they can integrate configuration options with debconf, providing a
  single interface.

In fact, I know that at least some users do use at least one packaged
webapp: mine. Because I get bug reports, some of them being my fault,
and I sincerly regret being only able to write the fix and not to upload
it to Debian or have it quickly uploaded, thus leaving my users with a
bug that I have corrected, but that they cannot apply automatically.

--
Tanguy Ortolo