Re: RFS: xpdf (updated package)

Hi, there.

On Jun 03 2010, Stanislav Maslovski wrote:
> This change is for sure quite significant. BTW, do you know if the
> internal code in xpdf is equivalent feature wise to poppler? I know
> that poppler was a spin-off of the rendering code of xpdf. Do you know
> how much they deviate one from another?

I have been keeping in touch with Michael about such smaller version of
xpdf and, in fact, I started a xpdf-poppler project, that I announced at

http://rb.doesntexist.org/blog/2010/05/27/please-let-me-zoom-my-documents/

and that I am hosting at

http://github.com/rbrito/xpdf-poppler/

Unfortunately, Michael didn't inform me that some Gentoo people had been
already working on this, but that's not a problem and I will adopt the
changes that he has in his codebase.

Now addressing some of your concerns, I have already spent the last 3 or
4 days on the code of xpdf and the its rendering is "by parts" of a
page, in contrast with that of epdfview and evince, which render a whole
page in memory and, in particular, if you choose a large zoom factor,
they barf on that.

> The reason of my question is that there are several pdf viewers in the
> repository based on poppler. One of them is evince which often crashes
> on large pdf files. In these cases xpdf was an
> old-and-slow-but-always-working solution.

I have some questions here:

* What do you mean by "old"? Old looking, perhaps, but thats due to its
use of lesstif, right? Or did you mean anything else?

* What do you mean by "slow"? In most cases, I think that it is, at
least, of the same speed as others, even if using poppler.

I have not yet benchmarked the differences between "pure" xpdf and
xpdf+poppler, but I would say that they are very minor.

Regards, Rogério Brito.

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8
http://rb.doesntexist.org : Packages for LaTeX : algorithms.berlios.de