Re: RFS: libapache2-mod-geoip (updated package)

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 7:41 AM, Nigel Jones <dev@nigelj.com> wrote:

>> Once it reaches Ubuntu, you might want to get them to sync so they
>> drop their gratuitous changes.
>
> They don't have any changes, just rebuilds.

Their patch changes the maintainer and changelog:

http://patches.ubuntu.com/liba/libapache2-mod-geoip/libapache2-mod-geoip_1.1.8-2ubuntu2.patch

I consider that very much gratuitous.

>> Should GeoIPDBFile in the configuration file be uncommented?
>
> I think that is rather debatable there are a few configuration options
> for GeoIPDBFile that can be added, by default geoip-database isn't
> included by default as end users may have the commercial database or
> update it themselves.
>
> I believe this is the reason my libgeoip1 for instance only Recommends
> geoip-database.

Hmm, Ok. I note in Fedora they uncomment it by default.

Since libgeoip1 recommends geoip-database, and apt/aptitude install
Recommends by default, the database will be installed by default.

Anyway, you are the maintainer, that is your decision. Hmm, your new
changelog says you enabled it but the configuration file still
comments it out, did you mean to do that?

>> P: libapache2-mod-geoip source: source-contains-cvs-conflict-copy
>> .#mod_geoip.c.1.24
>
> Pedantic mode I'm assuming?  Removing this would create a huge patch,
> I think this was simply upstream mistake.  I don't see much purpose in
> removing this as it doesn't effect the end result.

Yes, P: indicates pedantic.

Check the description of this tag, you should talk to upstream about
making sure their release process does not do this in future. At the
same time, maybe poke them about switching to a more sane VCS like git
;)

http://lintian.debian.org/tags/source-contains-cvs-conflict-copy.html

Disappointingly, one package in Debian overrides this warning.

> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/libapache2-mod-geoip/libapache2-mod-geoip_1.2.5-2.dsc

Since you are uploading -2 and -1 together, but -1 fixes some bugs, in
future, please remind sponsors that they need to use
dpkg-buildpackage/debuild -v to ensure the -1 changelog entry gets
included in the .changes file. Alternatively, mentors.d.n accepts
re-uploads of the same version.

--
bye,
pabs