Re: RFS: protoaculous

On Fri, 14 May 2010 15:00:58 +0800 Paul Wise wrote:
> > The logic for building from existing prototype/scriptaculous packages
> > is to avoid introducing duplicated code copies, which the security
> > team rather despises ;)
>
> Hmm, that makes it more like a static library, which is bad, but not
> as bad as an embedded code copy. Actually, looking the package, it
> isn't quite as bad as a static library. Hmm, you could make it even
> less bad by adding triggers on the  prototype and scriptaculous files
> and rebuilding there.

New version using triggers uploaded:
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/p/protoaculous

> I'm wondering if we should encourage web developers to use this level
> of insanity by packaging it in Debian? Hmmm, I guess then they'd just
> dump it into their dev tree. Or not be using Debian in the first
> place.

Various debian packages already embed this, so its better to provide a
system-wide version.  Users should be free to make their own software
choices (i.e. we shouldn't intentionally discourage any particular
application just because there is a certain amount of dislike for it --
let the best code win).

> Looking at the postinst code, actually I'm wondering if a more
> generalised solution would be useful. Instead of including lots of JS
> files in a page, you could define "bundles" and dpkg would then
> rebuild the bundles whenever you upgrade one of the libjs-* packages
> in the bundle. This could go into javascript-common to allow the speed
> advantages of protoaculous  with more generality.

I'm not really interested in actively persuing this approach, but if it
were to become a standard, I would adopt it for this package.

Mike