Re: Request a Sponsor for Typus Pocus

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 7:21 AM, Facundo Batista
<facundobatista@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 6:02 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> I'd suggest joining the Debian Games Team, you will find sponsors and
>> "testers" there. In exchange, we would hope you could help maintain
>> other games in Debian.
>
> Thanks! I'll do that.

Excellent :)

> Sorry for the misleading note, when you do a game in a week the
> code tends to be full of dirt nobody had time to clean.

I completely understand :)

>> Please ensure that trunk/typuspocus/sounds doesn't have the same issue
>> as the music.
>
> No problem with that, *I* was there when the sounds were created.  However,
> I took the opportunity to review and clean a lot of sounds that were there
> but not used, or duplicated wav/egg, etc.

I'm interested to learn how the sounds were created. Did you record
them from real-world audio or has their life been entirely digital?
What do you consider the "source code" or "preferred form for
modification" to be?

>> Generally one ships only the .po file in the tarball and the .mo is
>> created at build/install time.
>
> There is any automatic thingie for this that everybody uses?  Or should I
> create one script for this?

In the autotools world, gettext has the ability to create a Makefile
for you. I'm not sure how this is done in the python world though. I
did find this page on the web though, you might want to research this
more thoroughly than I have:

http://wiki.maemo.org/How_to_Internationalize_python_apps#Include_translations_in_your_installation

>> A number of images mention they were created with Adobe ImageReady or
>> Photoshop, which are not free software. I'm wondering if
>> GIMP/Inkscape/etc are not good enough for that?
>
> It surely they are enough.  But these images were created by a graphic
> designer that was faster working with that programs.  Should I clean that
> metadata?

I see. Don't worry about the metadata, I was just wondering about
this. If you haven't introduced the designer to free software, you
might consider doing that at some point.

>> The icons look like they were generated from an SVG or similar, but I
>> don't see it in the tarball.
>
> I really don't have it... it was generated during the contest, it's lost
> now... is it mandatory, or we can go on without it?

Thats a shame. Since the SVG files were lost, the bitmap icons become
the source code I guess?

>> Some of the images look like they were taken from wikipedia, you'll
>> need to clarify the origin, copyright and license for each image.
>> Others look like they are rendered from SVG, Debian needs the source
>> code for those.
>
> I don't know if it will be possible to track the origin of each image.
> What should I do in this case?

Remove and recreate the ones that you don't know the license for,
since they could be non-free.

>> trunk/typuspocus/escenario/MagicSchoolOne.ttf is a non-free font "(c)
>> 2004 Michael Hagemann www.FontMesa.com All Rights Reserved", please
>> remove it from the tarball.
>
> The MagicSchoolOne.ttf font in "typuspocus/escenario/" directory is
> copyright from Michael Hagemann (www.FontMesa.com, 2004).  As it's
> specified in their website, the font is free for Personal and Commercial
> use.  I also asked by mail specifically for the right of distribution of
> this font inside the game, it was granted.
>
> I added this information in the copyright file.

I'm afraid that probably isn't enough (need permissions for
modification and distribution). I'd suggest getting it licensed under
a standard license (MIT, BSD, ISC, GPL+font exception etc or SIL OFL
as a last resort).

> However, testing and testing the game for all these changes I made, I
> noticed how out-of-place this simple font was compared with the other one
> and game backgrounds, so finally I changed it to use a better looking one
> (bah, not /better/, I love DejaVu, but /more harmonius/ with the game).

Looking at the copyright file, the "Paper Cuts 2" font license is so
vague that it is useless. Please negotiate a better license with
upstream, same advice applies as for "Magic School One".

For "Aurulent Sans Mono", the SIL OFL license with a reserved font
name prevents Debian from building the font from source (which seems
to be FontForge .sfd in this case) without renaming it, you might want
to talk to upstream about dropping the reserved font name. This is
similar to the Firefox/Iceweasel scenario but a bit more wacky.

Also, in Debian we prefer fonts to be separated out since they are
useful outside the game.

>> trunk/typuspocus/audiencia/Copyright says the images are CC-licensed
>> and from www.stortrooper.com, unfortunately that is now a spam site
>> and the Internet Archive's Wayback machine for it is broken. You need
>> to clarify the exact copyright and license information for these.
>> Looking at the Internet Archive's Wayback machine for stor.co.uk, I
>> find very restrictive licenses, therefore I very much doubt these
>> images are under CC licenses:
>
> I miscopied the URL to the copyright file: the correct one is
> www.stortroopers.com (with an 's'), it's fixed now.

Looking at the link at the bottom (CC-BY-NC-SA) and the FAQ item leads
me to believe that all these icons are non-free due to the NC part. If
you want them in Debian main you'll need to negotiate a better
license.

http://www.stortroopers.com/faq.html#11

>> trunk/typuspocus/countries.py could be replaced with loading the data
>> from iso-codes.
>
> This will complicate us the distribution in other platforms, and that
> file is not *that* heavy.

The problem is that it is yet another place to change when a new
country is created or a country name is translated into another
language. Maybe you could load stuff from iso-codes when it is
available and also generate countries.py from iso-codes when you make
a new release tarball.

> Thanks!

Thanks for your work on the game :)

--