Re: RFS: NMU goocanvas (updated package)

Le Sat, May 08, 2010 at 01:01:00PM +0200, Jeffrey Ratcliffe a écrit :
> On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 09:57:53AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > You might want ping the maintainer directly and to report them as MIA
> > if they do not respond:
>
> He's been pinged on several occasions on #521722[1]. Ubuntu has
> had new upstream version for nearly a year.
>
> I'll ping him again directly and wait two weeks, but I assumed this is
> what the 10-day delayed queue was for - to give the maintainer a last
> chance to respond before the NMU is uploaded.

Dear Jeff,

If goocanvas is updated by NMU, who will be responsible for taking care for any
issue introduced by this upload: the maintainer? you? the NMU sponsor? It is to
avoid such solution where responsability is unclear that packages are not
updated by NMU in Debian. If the maintainer does not respond to the requests
for updates, is is a hint that the package needs a new maintainer (in addition
or replacement for the current one), or that the package should better be
removed. Updating a package by NMU solves a problem in the short term, but
increases the risk that nobody will be there for later problems.

Perhaps you can propose to the current maintainer to open his package to
collaborative maintainance, by creating or joining a team, or simply accepting
co-maintainers (you?) who commit themselves on a longer term than a single
upload?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles