Re: RFS: libconfig

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:57:32PM +0200, José Luis Tallón wrote:
> Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
> > [snip]
> >>>
> >> I am not removing any existing soname for now; the new upload simply
> >> carries a new soname. Nor do I conflict with any previous soname:
> >> Reverse dependencies won't stop working until the previous sonames are
> >> removed.
> >>

> > Ermm, you're not removing what? Your new version 1.4.4-1 provides
> > different packages names, i.e. libconfig9 instead of libconfig8 (and
> > others accordingly).
> >
> Yes, but I haven't filed any RoM nor do my packages conflict with the
> previous soname.
> This means that, while I won't provide any newer version for the
> previous soname (which I can't since upstream changed the API), *both*
> sonames can be installed at the same time. This means existing binaries
> can continue working until recompiled.

I think you're having a big misunderstanding of the Debian archive here.
If you uploaded the new version of the *same* (source) package
(libconfig here), what source package would then provide the binaries
the old version previously provided? A new version means the old one is
going to disappear. There is no RoM for binary packages.

Hauke