Re: RFS: libconfig

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 19:14:45 +0200, Jan Hauke Rahm <jhr@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 02:05:25AM +0200, José Luis Tallón wrote:
>> libconfig (1.4.4-1) unstable; urgency=low
>>
>>   * New upstream version
>>     - soname bump to 9
>>
>>   * Packaging
>>     - Updated to debhelper compatibility level 7
>>     - Added symbols files for libraries
>>
>>  -- Jose Luis Tallon <jltallon@adv-solutions.net>  Wed, 14 Apr 2010
>>  1:06:09 +0200
>
> Now that you change the soname and all, did you check the reverse
> dependencies?

I am not removing any existing soname for now; the new upload simply
carries a new soname. Nor do I conflict with any previous soname:
Reverse dependencies won't stop working until the previous sonames are
removed.
However, there are no reverse-depends in the Archive as of now.

> Do they need binNMUs or even source uploads? Do they still work?

The soname bump would have meant recompilation at the very least (most
probably even source changes, since an API change also happened).
In any case, the addition of symbols files makes backporting and/or
upgrading easier, since ld.so can use the additional information (since
libc6 2.3.6ds1 if memory serves me well) to satisfy symbol dependencies.

Regards,

  J.L.