Re: flow of things rules/debhelper

Hi,

Thanks.  I am rethinking few things.

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 03:07:34PM +0200, jmroth+deb@iip.lu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'll try to make myself clearer:
>
> the question is: why is e.g. debian/rules binary-indep never called on
> a binary independent package, assume a PHP app.

Aside from the issues discussed with Mike ...

reality is once "debian/rules binary" is run, there is no need to run
"debian/rules binary-indep" nor "debian/rules binary-arch".  All the
piecees of actions have been done.

Normal package build process only calls binary as I understand.

> it is clear that if dh doesn't call it, then nobody will, however the
> policy manual says:

... policy discussion is not my teritory.

> So, if I have an architecture independent package it would be logical
> to put my commands into binary-indep; why else would it be there.
>
> But it is not called. When I look at my build log, this is more or
> less what happens:

Good point.  This log and document have to match.

>  debian/rules build
> dh build
>  [...]
>  fakeroot debian/rules binary
>  [...]
> dpkg-deb: building package...
>
> No sign of debian/binary-arch and/or debian/binary-indep here.
> Probably because I did not write down a specific rule

This prompts me to revert back to my original text with minor updates.

dpkg-buildpackage is what I am following ... not Policy.

This dh.tiny is somewhat cheating to normal make file things.  But this
is pretty regular and easy to understand.

Osamu