Re: Question about package priority

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 20:28:32 +0100, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> > Hi mentors,
> >
> > Is it necessary to put a dependency on "important" priority package for the
> > package on which i work.
>
> Yes; you can only rely on essential packages, i.e., marked "Essential: yes".
>
> > It seems that the ifconfig command could be absent on some system and my
> > postinst script use it.
> > Do i need to put a dependency on net-tools package ?
> > I can do it but i would like to know if it is absolutely needed.
> >

> On a sidenote, you should rather use ip addr show instead of ifconfig.
>
> Best,
> Michael

Hi Michael,

/bin/ip come from the iproute package which has important priority too.
So using ip command will only change script but not package dependencies.

My question was to be sure and i wrote net-tools in dependency field of
dhcp-probe before asking on the list. My question was to confirm my opinion.

Thank you for your answer.

I will, again, ask you to sponsor dhcp-probe package in a very short time
(hours or days).

In addition, i change of job and i have not enough time to be involved deeper
in Debian project (i have not enough time to help further Debian project). I
will continue to maintain dhcp-probe but i will not be able to integrate the
Debian maintainer process or Debian Developer process...
I am disappointed of that but i have to do choice.

Best,
Laurent

--
Laurent Guignard, Registered as user #301590 with the Linux Counter
Site : http://www.famille-guignard.org