Re: Source format 3.0 (quilt)

Tanguy Ortolo <tanguy+debian@ortolo.eu> wrote:
> For the 3.0 (quilt), the packed source is well defined, but I have a
> doubt for the working form. According to dpkg-source(1), is seems to be
> the .orig.tar.ext and a working directory with patches applied *and*
> present in the debian/patches directory. Is that correct? Then, if I
> want to store my work in a VCS, it should also be with the patches
> applied.

If you prefer your VCS to store the unpatched source (I know I do), some
*-buildpackage tools can call dpkg-source on a checked out copy (svn-bp
by default, git-bp with --export-dir), so that dpkg-source will leave
your working directory alone.

Another option, if you are using a branch-friendly VCS, is to work with
the unpatched source on the main branch, and apply the patches on a
throw-away branch used only for building.  It's a bit more (scriptable)
work, but it does keep your main branch clean.

BTW, you might want to take a look at the vcs-pkg mailing-list: