Re: RFS: bygfoot (Updated package)

2010/2/17 Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org>:
> 2010/2/17 Elías Alejandro <ealmdz@gmail.com>:
>> Hi Christoph,
>>
>>> At least I don't consider this package as long as the preinstal
>>> does a find over all home directories. Messing in user's home
>>> directories isn't nice and find can take *really* *long*.
>>
>> I'm agree with the "isn't nice", but how can I keep the user savegames
>> that belong previous to versions, or simply delete it?. Each versions
>> create a hidden directory named .bygfoot in the /home for savegames,
>> but each version can't load this savegames, just if this savegame
>> belong to the same version. I've tried with the script preinst, keep
>> the previous savegame and then the new version will create its own
>> .byfoot.
>
> The game itself should handle this stuff at runtime, the maintainer
> scripts have no business touching user's home directories.

I totally support this. No packages should directly mess up with
configuration stuff in user's directories when installed or
uninstalled. If the format should be upgraded, it should be done by
the program itself when it is executed by the user -aka. runtime- as
Paul says, not in postinst/prerm/...

Also, users expect not to lose previous saved games when upgrading to
a newer version of the game, so we should do as much as possiible to
avoid that. It is really annoying to be playing a game and lose your
saved data after an upgrade. Players would have the whole right to
complain about it. I would.

Greetings,
Miry