Re: RFS: bygfoot (Updated package)

2010/2/17 Elías Alejandro <ealmdz@gmail.com>:
> Hi Christoph,
>
>> At least I don't consider this package as long as the preinstal
>> does a find over all home directories. Messing in user's home
>> directories isn't nice and find can take *really* *long*.
>
> I'm agree with the "isn't nice", but how can I keep the user savegames
> that belong previous to versions, or simply delete it?. Each versions
> create a hidden directory named .bygfoot in the /home for savegames,
> but each version can't load this savegames, just if this savegame
> belong to the same version. I've tried with the script preinst, keep
> the previous savegame and then the new version will create its own
> .byfoot.

The game itself should handle this stuff at runtime, the maintainer
scripts have no business touching user's home directories.

Some possible strategies for this:

Version numbers in the file format.

Version numbers in the file/directory names.

More stable or forward compatible file formats. This is my personal favourite.

In addition, please follow the XDG basedir spec wrt home directory
file names and locations:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

--
bye,