Re: RFS: wpasupplicant (updated package)

Kel Modderman wrote:
> Hi mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 0.6.10-1 of the package
> "wpasupplicant". It has been a long time since its last update due to myself
> travelling and the rest of pkg-wpa-devel maintenance group being inactive.
> The inactive members have since removed themselves from the group which
> leaves us/me in need of a good mentor/sponsor.

Hi Kel,

I'm very much interested in getting this package uploaded.
So, while I can't offer co-maintainership, I will sponsor this upload (if you
want, also in the future).
Package looks fine at a brief look.

The only comment I have, is about the conffile removal.

As you remove the obsolete conffiles in postinst, dpkg will not notice that
(only at the next upgrade). dpkg -L will still list them, even if they have been
removed.
A simple approach is, to just remove the obsolete conffiles directly in preinst,
as e.g. the debian wiki recommends [1].
I guess, you remove the obsolete conffile in postinst, so you better handle the
case of failed/aborted upgrades. If that is of concern to you, then I suggest
the following:
In preinst: on "upgrade", make prep_rm_conffile rename the file to
$file.dpkg-bak if it has been modified or to $file.dpkg-remove it it wasn't
modifiedf
In postinst: on "configure", rm the $file.dpkg-remove if existent
In postrm: on "abort-install|abort-upgrade", undo the renaming to .dpkg-remove
or .dpkg-bak, if such a file exists.

Anyway, this is just a minor issue, and I'd be ok with uploading as is. If you
want to address this though, even better. Just let me know.

Cheers, and thanks for working on this package!
Michael

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DpkgConffileHandling
universe are pointed away from Earth?