Re: init script versosity

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel wrote:

Hello

I am using the /etc/init.d/skeleton (from unstable) file to write my package init scripts.

but it seems that the lsb-base default behaviour is to have VERBOSE=no

so there is no output. Is it ok with the debian-policy

9.4 Console messages from init.d scripts

they say :

"This section describes the formats to be used for messages written to standard output by the /etc/init.d scripts."

but the next lines says "should" and not "must" when describing the init script output message.

so what must I do for my init scripts. VERBOSITY / no VERBOSITY ?

I'm not deeply familiar with this section of policy -- but is this supposed to be about separating stdout vs stderr?

If you don't get a conclusive answer here, asking your question on debian-devel might make sense.

-- Asheesh.

--
And on the seventh day, He exited from append mode.