Source format 3.0 (quilt)

Hello,

I am considering to convert a package from 1.0 to 3.0 (quilt) format.
I found documentation in dpkg-source(1) and on the wiki, but I still
miss some information.

For the 1.0 source format, I can see two practical, equivalent
sub-forms:
1. the packed source, consisting in a .orig.tar.gz and a .diff.gz;
2. the working form, consisting in a .orig.tar.gz and a working
   directory.

For the 3.0 (quilt), the packed source is well defined, but I have a
doubt for the working form. According to dpkg-source(1), is seems to be
the .orig.tar.ext and a working directory with patches applied *and*
present in the debian/patches directory. Is that correct? Then, if I
want to store my work in a VCS, it should also be with the patches
applied.

When I am sure of that, I shall modify the wiki page section that
explain how to convert a source package to 3.0 (quilt), adding the
instruction to apply the patches.

Regards,

--
Tanguy Ortolo