Re: Multiples binaries with different versions from one source file?

Eric Lavarde <deb@zorglub.s.bawue.de> writes:

> I fear I know the (negative) answer, but perhaps I missed something: I
> have one source package which creates a library and an application,
> where each has its own (different) version.  The logical approach would
> be to have two binary packages created from the same source, with two
> different versions.

It is possible to do (I just did it today for something internal,
actually), but it's kind of a pain since the helper scripts don't have any
real support for it.  I did:

override_dh_gencontrol:
        dh_gencontrol
        perl -i -pe 's/^(Version:).*/$$1 $(VERSION)/' \
            debian/kpropd/DEBIAN/control
        perl -i -pe 's/^(kpropd_)[^_]+/$${1}$(VERSION)/' debian/files

to override the binary version late in the build process.  This seems to
basically work, although reprepro will reject the upload due to the
version mismatch (not a problem with DAK, I think).  I suspect there may
be an easier way, but the obvious approach of putting a Version header in
the binary package stanza in debian/control does *not* work; Version is
ignored there.

Needless to say, you really don't want to do this unless you absolutely
have to for some reason.