Re: Debian changelog vs upstream changelog

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:

> Again, all of this is very preliminary and undocumented. The main message I
> would like to give is that indeed, for all the information that is not specific
> to Debian, there must be other ways to make them flow from the maintainer to
> the user without transiting through the debian/control file.

This paragraph triggered my memory of PackageMap, a way to map package
names between distributions:

http://blog.hartwork.org/?p=373

It might actually be best to store all this upstream data in the
PackageMap or somewhere associated with it and map from Debian package
-> PackageMap name -> upstream metadata.

I'm also reminded of things like DOAP, which are sometimes stored in
upstream tarballs:

http://trac.usefulinc.com/doap
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Description_of_a_Project

--