Re: Man and UTF-8.

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> Jakub Wilk <ubanus@users.sf.net> writes:
>> * Nicolas Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez@gmail.com>, 2009-11-17, 13:45:

>>> And sometimes annoying. I have seen command examples in manpages that
>>> used fancy Unicode quotes, and didn't work when copied and pasted into
>>> a shell.
>>
>> Blame the one who wrote a buggy manpage, not groff.

> No, I really do think it's reasonable to blame the system in this
> instance.

> One should not need to go through contortions to get a common characters
> like an apostrophe (U+0027 APOSTROPHE) or the typographic quotation
> marks (U+2018, U+2019) to behave as themselves.

You would have needed to take it up with Joseph Ossanna and Brian
Kernighan, since *roff has worked this way since the beginning of the
formatting language.

At the time, this was reasonably standard practice.  Note that TeX does
the same thing with '', and therefore texinfo also has the same sort of
behavior.