Re: Man and UTF-8.

Jakub Wilk <ubanus@users.sf.net> writes:

> * Nicolas Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez@gmail.com>, 2009-11-17, 13:45:
> >And sometimes annoying. I have seen command examples in manpages that
> >used fancy Unicode quotes, and didn't work when copied and pasted
> >into a shell.
>
> Blame the one who wrote a buggy manpage, not groff.

No, I really do think it's reasonable to blame the system in this
instance.

One should not need to go through contortions to get a common characters
like an apostrophe (U+0027 APOSTROPHE) or the typographic quotation
marks (U+2018, U+2019) to behave as themselves. Rendering a character as
itself should be the norm, with only a very few well-chosen characters
causing special behaviour. With groff, there is too much magic
groff-knows-better second-guessing of the writer's intention going on.

We may be stuck with it, but that doesn't make it right.

--
 \       “When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold to the masses |
  `\    over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and |