Re: RFS: lesstif2 AND Questions about collab-maint

> >> I had to let your message sink in....
> >
> > Hm, did I write something weird or hard to grind? If so, I'd try to
> > rephrase my point.
>
> No, more about what it meant for me.
>
> > Eventually, such a popularity could be explained as 'past glory'; it was
> > popular once, but with the advent of more advanced windowing/widget/ui
> > toolkits it probably still stays on user machines largely unused and
> > mostly obsoleted.
>
> Understood and exactly what I thought.
>
> > IMO, lesstif and dependents are far beyond their life cycle, and I'm not
> > at all sure if I personally want to see them in our next stable release.
> > That is my opinion, other might disagree.
>
> Absolutely fine with me. But maybe Debian should decide on that (lesstif
> is specifically mentioned in the policy btw) and just request the
> removal of the package (and it dependents). If so I won't need to pull a
> dead horse, and move on to other things as well. My interest was with
> Debian, not specifically with lesstif or any of its dependents. I do
> have the time and the will to invest in FOSS/Debian, but maybe I decided
> on the wrong project? I don't necessarily want to get new packages in so
> I decided to adopt, but how to chose?

I saw that Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. already gave useful pointers; to these I
would add that KDE and GNOME packaging teams would welcome more man power, as
they recently share here and there; I'm not sure if you could be interested in
their work, but if so, saying 'hi' in their packaging lists might be another
nice option for you to go for, and certainly for them.

> > Okay, I respect your point and your time. I just tried to give some
> > pointers eventually to explain the lack of interest of your prospective
> > sponsors.
>
> Point taken. I will do what I want to do with lesstif next weekend/weeks
> and if nobody steps up to sponsor I will leave it on mentors and on
> Alioth and just provide a package at Launchpad [1] for a while.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

> A side note: I do have the feeling that Debian is not so well in
> removing packages that are over age. Shouldn't there be a policy on that
> as well? More than just RC bugs that warrant their removal around
> release time? Getting a new package in when there already exist a
> package which is similar is difficult, but removing one is apparently
> not lightly done either.

Correct, package removals are not completely reciprocal to package additions,
though both must be performed with care and rigor. I don't think I have an
ultimate answer to these, so a broader discussion is certainly preferred and
it actually happens from time to time in BTS logs or debian-devel list.

> Paul
> [1] https://launchpad.net/~paul-climbing/+archive/lesstif+nedit

Thanks for your interest in Debian distribution.

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB <people.fccf.net/danchev/key pgp.mit.edu>