Re: Lintian pickiness and packaging improvements

On Wed, Oct 21 2009, Raphael Geissert wrote:

>>         Pedantic tags are Lintian at its most pickiest and include
>>         checks for particular Debian packaging styles, *checks that are
>>         very frequently wrong*, and checks that many people disagree
>>         with.  Expect false positives and Lintian tags that you don't
>>         consider useful if you use this option.  Adding overrides for
>>         pedantic tags is probably not worth the effort.
>
> As the person who pushed and introduced pedantic support I always felt
> a bit hesitant regarding the highlighted statement, maybe I should
> bring this up on the lintian mailing list and ask Russ for his reasons
> behind it (maybe what he wanted to express could be paraphrased).

> If a check is wrong I don't think it should belong to the pedantic
> category, IMHO.

        Ack.

        I also think that style issues should not be a part of even
 Pedantic checks. If a package is using a different, and arguably
 better style, then lintian should keep its nose out.

        manoj
--
"Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently
programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest." -Isaac Asimov