Re: RFS: ampache (updated package)

,----[  Manual page lintian(1)  ]
|  --pedantic
|         Display pedantic ("P:") tags as well.  They are normally
|         suppressed.
|
|         Pedantic tags are Lintian at its most pickiest and include
|         checks for particular Debian packaging styles, checks that are
|         very frequently wrong, and checks that many people disagree
|         with.  Expect false positives and Lintian tags that you don't
|         consider useful if you use this option.  Adding overrides for
|         pedantic tags is probably not worth the effort.
`----

        Pretty much covers it, neh?

        Also:

,----[ http://lintian.debian.org/manual/ch2.html#s2.3 ]
| Experimental:
|   This means that the code that generates this message is not as well
|   tested as the rest of Lintian, and might still give surprising
|   results. Feel free to ignore Experimental messages that do not seem to
|   make sense, though of course bug reports are always welcomed.
`----

        Now, people experienced in packaging stuff for Debian ought to
 be looking at pedantic and experimental tags and giving feedback to
 Lintian, to improve it (I certainly do). But I only look at
 experimental and pedantic tags when I want to see f I want to give
 feedback to Lintian, not as a package check. As a package check it is
 very inefficient, and definitely not what I would recommend to a
 novice.

        There is a time and a place where these lintian options are
 useful. They certainly have a place, and are recommended for
 experienced developers, and critical for helping to improve lintian.
 But one needs to know when to use them, and when not to bother.

        manoj
--
"Linux: the operating system with a CLUE... Command Line User
Environment". (seen in a posting in comp.software.testing)