Upload of a non-latest upstream version?

Hi all,

I am packaging a software (tortoisehg) but I have an issues:
the latest upstream version (0.8.2) depends on python-iniparse, which
has been in ITP for quite a long time. Version 0.8, instead, has not
such dependency. Moreover I had to repackage 0.8 to make it
debian-policy compliant, while future versions (from 0.8.1) will not
need the repackaging.

Would it be acceptable to upload 0.8 to the NEW queue and in the
meanwhile help to get python-iniparse into Debian? Or is uploading
non-latest upstream versions something that must not be done?

Thanks,
Ludovico