Appropriate warning when removing important package

We are attempting to use the debian package system to streamline the
process of setting up the operating system for our software developers
and robotics research platforms.

We have kind of a unique environment in that many of the (somewhat
naive) system users have root-access for installing new packages on an
as-needed basis, but the development environment itself has some
specific requirements.  For example, we require libboost1.37-dev over
libboost-dev.

I have create a trivial deb called "ros-conflicts" which just
explicitly conflicts with the packages we need to avoid.

Unfortunately, when users are doing large apt-get installs, they will
just blindly hit "yes" without thoroughly inspecting the list of
packages which may be removed, putting their system in an unusable
(from a development standpoint) state.

My initial workaround was to just add "Essential: yes" to the
ros-conficts control file so that now users get a much more serious
warning when they try to install a package that conflicts with it.
However, this feels like a misuse of "essential."

Is there a preferred way to present an appropriate warning to people
when a particularly important package is about to be removed?

Thanks,
--Jeremy Leibs