Re: Menu entries not appearing

Il giorno gio, 03/09/2009 alle 13.42 +0200, Alessandro Dentella ha
scritto:
> Hi,
>
>   I tried to add a menu entry for application 'sqledit', but the entry does not
>   appear if I use standard menu entry in debian as:
>
> ?package(python-sqlkit):needs="X11" section="Applications/Office"\
>   title="sqledit" command="/usr/bin/sqledit"
>
>   it gets placed in /usr/share/menu/python-sqlkit but it does not show in the
>   menu. In postinst scipt I correctly see:
>
>     if [ "$1" = "configure" ] && [ -x "`which update-menus 2>/dev/null`" ]; then
> 	    update-menus
>     fi
>
>   It *does* appear correctly if I place a sqlkit.desktop in
>   /usr/share/applications.
>
>   I'm doing something wrong with the menu entry?
>   Is it ok to use only sqlkit.desktop?

update-menus "generate[s] Debian menu system"; it takes care only of the
Debian menu (which - notice - is usually not installed in Ubuntu ;-).

In /usr/share/applications live the .desktop files which should follow
the freedesktop standards (see for instance the categories at
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/0.7/apa.html ). A .desktop
file makes sense for your application, and I think it makes sense to
insert it and install it in your upstream setup.py (at least, that's
what I always do).

In any case, the two things are independent.

Pietro