Re: Menu entries not appearing

> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 13:42, Alessandro Dentella<sandro@e-den.it> wrote:
> >
> >  I tried to add a menu entry for application 'sqledit', but the entry does not
> >  appear if I use standard menu entry in debian as:
> >
> >  It *does* appear correctly if I place a sqlkit.desktop in
> >  /usr/share/applications.

Dear Alessandro,

The Debian menu does not appear by default on standard GNOME installations.
sqlkit.desktop places an entry in the FreeDesktop (GNOME) menu, while sqledit.menu
places an entry in the Debian menu.

If you right-click on the Applications menu, and chose “Edit Menus”, you can
enable the Debian menu. It is also there by default on other window managers,
like Xfce.

In summary, please keep both files. Also, there is no need for postinst scripts
anymore since addition of menu entries are managed by dpkg triggers, but this
should automatically been taken care from debhelper anyway…

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan