Creating a transition package for source and binary switching

Hi,
I wanted to ask how to do a transition package the right way. Current
situation is that there is a package with 3:1.1-2 in debian which changed the
name and version numbering slightly. Now I wanted to create a package with the
new package. Should I now add a new source package with the new binary package
to the debian archives and changing the old source to a "transition only"
package without any real source or what would be the right way? The idea
behind it is that the 3: can go away since they promised to only change the
numbering scheme if it doesn't violates the the ordering anymore.

Sincerely yours,
Peter