Re: ITR: febootstrap

On 09/06/01 16:47 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones said ...
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 01:26:32AM +0530, Y Giridhar Appaji Nag wrote:

[snip...]

> > Suggestions:
> >
> > - It is usually a good idea to maintain the debian packaging also in a VCS.
>
> I'm of course maintaining this package in my own VCS.  Is the suggestion
> to add the debian/ subdirectory to my upstream git:
>
> http://git.et.redhat.com/?p=febootstrap.git;a=summary
>
> I thought it was bad for upstream to have their own debian/
> subdirectory?

It is, because (a) makes it difficult for the Debian package maintainers to
read from the diff.gz what changes went in to making the package (b) upstream
usually don't care about Debian policy and may not be able to keep up with it.

However, in this case you are both upstream as well as the Debian package
maintainer and maintaining the changes for Debian on a different branch is a
good idea.

> > - Since /usr/share/doc/febootstrap/README complains rather loudly that it is
> >   required to patch 2.8, consider including the patches in the doc directory
> >   as well.
>
> Surely not necessary since fakechroot will always be >= 2.9 (by the
> dependencies)?

That is right.  Originally I was (incorrectly) thinking that it would be
useful for a backport because fakechroot in stable is 2.8 (stable backports
require a stable chroot build with no additional modified packages).

> The new package is in the same place:
>
> http://www.annexia.org/tmp/debian/

I uploaded the package, with a couple of changes: changed the FSF address in
debian/copyright to the latest, and removed dh_link from debian/rules (it was
not necessary).  Please do include these changes in future revisions of the
package.

Another note: I built with -v2.1-1 in debbuildopts but that doesn't include
the changelog entry for 2.1-1 in the changes file.  So you will have to tag
#530425 on your own as pending and later close it when the package is out of
new and installed into the archive.

Thank you for your work.  Feel free to contact me directly for sponsorship of
future updates to febootstrap.

Cheers,

Giridhar

--