Re: ITR: febootstrap

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 01:26:32AM +0530, Y Giridhar Appaji Nag wrote:
[...]

Sorry for the late reply, hardware troubles.

> Comments:
>
> - in debian/control, Section should be admin (not devel) and priority should
>   be optional (not extra).

Done.

> - debian/control: Remove ${shlibs:Depends} from Depends, you don't need it.

Done.

> - I am not happy with the presubj file.  People using a Debian package expect
>   to file bugs in the Debian BTS and forcing them to use a different reporting
>   system (that requires them to signup for an account) is not nice.  As a
>   package maintainer, it is your responsibility to 'forward' bugs upstream
>   etc.  Most users don't know what "bug is with Debian packaging" means.
>
>   BTW, presubj files can be installed using dh_bugfiles (but that is not
>   relevant here).

Removed.

> - A lot of dh_* commands from the dh_make templates are still in debian/rules
>   but commented, please remove them.

Done.

> - dh_strip in debian/rules is not necessary.

Done.

> - Your intention in using dh_installexamples in debian/rules is to install
>   "examples" folder also to /usr/share/doc, but examples are not installed,
>   see dh_installexamples(1)

I removed this.  The manual page covers everything you'd want to do
with febootstrap, and the examples aren't actually so useful.

> - The CVS directories (both upstream tarball as well as in the diff.gz)
>   clutter the directories, please remove them.

Done.

> - Please run latest lintian (as lintian -EI --pedantic) on the package.  Of
>   the tags that lintian reports, build-depends-without-arch-dep,
>   debian-watch-file-is-missing (and also diff-contains-cvs-control-dir,
>   source-contains-cvs-control-dir?) are worth fixing.  Hint: lintian-info(1)
>   and dpkg-buildpackage -I -i.  For fixes that you intend to make in the
>   upstream tarball for the next upstream release, please include lintian
>   overrides (See dh_lintian(1))

Done - the only one left is:

P: febootstrap: no-upstream-changelog

> - Typo in debian/changelog: "Remove comments from Debian/rules" Debian should
>   not be capitalised there.

Done.

> - In debian/copyright, please include the "How to Apply These Terms to Your
>   New Programs" related text instead of just "GPL (v2+)" in License:

Done.

> Suggestions:
>
> - It is usually a good idea to maintain the debian packaging also in a VCS.
>   Even though this package is simple, since you are also the upstream, I was
>   wondering if you you would be interested in maintaining the Debian packaging
>   also in upstream git (possibly on a debian branch).  In case you implement
>   this suggestion, please add Vcs-Git and Vcs-Browser to debian/control.

I'm of course maintaining this package in my own VCS.  Is the suggestion
to add the debian/ subdirectory to my upstream git:

http://git.et.redhat.com/?p=febootstrap.git;a=summary

I thought it was bad for upstream to have their own debian/
subdirectory?

> - Since you are using debhelper >= 7, have you considered using "dh" (your
>   debian/rules will be very simple).

Hmmm, manpage for 'dh' looked a bit complicated ...

> - Please do include an "upstream changelog" from the next upstream release
>   onwards.

I'll look into it.  We do this for libguestfs already (building it
from the git changelog).

> - Since /usr/share/doc/febootstrap/README complains rather loudly that it is
>   required to patch 2.8, consider including the patches in the doc directory
>   as well.

Surely not necessary since fakechroot will always be >= 2.9 (by the
dependencies)?

The new package is in the same place:

http://www.annexia.org/tmp/debian/

Rich.

Fedora now supports 75 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)