Package is RFA, got a single update

Hy,
situation: The package obexpushd is RFA. It currently has some
debian-related bugs and a security problem. There is also a new upstream
version (not packaged but fixing the security problem).

I got a new package ready, fixing all debian-bugs, updating to the most
recent upstream version and updating the debian/rules and
debian/controls.

Now my problem:
I want this package to be included in debian. I asked the current
maintainer, but as he hasnt got the time to look at my package he cant
help. So I thought of searching for a sponsor to upload the package
using mentors.debian.org. Is this the right way? If yes, how do you
handle the maintainer-field in this case? Do I upload a NMU (adding
-nmu1 to the version) or do I add myself to the maintainer-field in
debian/control? Im asking because lintian claims that its a nmu upload
and I should add the -nmu1 version. So how do you handle this.

Sorry for the novice questions, but its my first public package and my
first contact with debian packaging.

Thanks
--
Dominik Bruhn