Re: libv8: library without SONAME

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 4:04 AM, Antonio Radici <antonio@dyne.org> wrote:

> as part of ITP #497701 I'm packaging libv8, a high-performance
> java script library written by Google and used in Chrominum, the
> open source version of the Chrome browser.

If you are also packaging Chromium, please note there is already a
package called chromium (a game) in Debian. This is a similar
situation to epiphany/epiphany-browser. I would suggest chromium (the
game) be renamed chromium-bsu (the full name upstream is Chromium
B.S.U.) and chromium (the browser) be packaged as chrome or
chromium-browser.

> The source code is taken directly from the SVN tags here:
> http://v8.googlecode.com/
> It uses scons to build the library but the built library has no
> SONAME, the only thing I get from scons is libv8.so.

:(

> The ubuntu maintainer of libv8* packages asked the authors to add
> the SONAME in november:
> http://code.google.com/p/v8/issues/detail?id=151

You've pinged the bug, good.

> So, my question is: how should I proceed? Stop packaging until the
> SONAME is avaiable?

Please don't stop.

> Do as the ubuntu maintainer does? (libv8.so in
> the libv8 package and the .h files in libv8-dev?)

Nasty, don't do that.

> I've ready somewhere that /usr/lib should only contains libraries with
> SONAME's, should I create /usr/lib/v8/ and put the library in there? (as
> it was done with mozilla libraries?)

That is an option, not a great one though.

Like pusling says, adding a Debian-specific SONAME is the other option
and probably the best one until upstream adds one.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise