Re: Debian etch - Rebuilding a package from source.

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 08:38:45PM EST, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
> >What I have done so far is pretty much what is described in the above:
> >
> >    . apt-get source ..
> >    . build-dep ..
> >    . debuild ..
> >    . dpkg -i ..
> >
> >The process appears to work - as tested on gnu/screen - when I'm just
> >recreating the same deb that I would install via apt-get.
> >

> That's a good procedure. It's what I do when I need to rebuild a  package.

Thanks!

> >One problem, though, is that since the build is pretty much automated,
> >I'm not sure how I could add --xxx configure options that override the
> >defaults. In particular after reading the man page I wasn't able to find
> >an option that would let me achieve this.
> >

> The configure script gets called in debian/rules. Editing the file you
> should be able to find a call to it and modify appropriately.

Found it!

And sure enough, the screen 256 colors configure option I was looking
for is commented out.

> >Another concern is what kind of naming standard I should/could adopt for
> >my custom .debs so that they integrate smoothly with the apt packaging
> >system. In other words.. in a way that will be easy to manage over time
> >and not interfere with possible future apt-get actions, such as upgrades
> >to a new release etc.
> >

> One possibility is to increase the package revision and append something
> like '~yourname0'. If the package is 1.4.5-3, you make
> 1.4.5-4~something0, which is greater than 1.4.5-3 but smaller than
> 1.4.5-4 or any newer upstream version. But there are other possibilities
> regarding suffixes.

Thanks.

When you plan on maintaining your custom stuff over time, that seems to
be a fundamental issue .. and deciding on the right scheme to start off
with is likely something that will save me multiple headaches later on.

Happy New Year and much thanks for your timely reply!

CJ